LIVE AARC Field Day progress display at https://www.albemarleradio.org/fd2018viz
Since 1933, ham radio operators across North America have established temporary ham radio stations in public locations during Field Day to showcase the science and skill of Amateur Radio. This event is open to the public and all are encouraged to attend.
For over 100 years, Amateur Radio — sometimes called ham radio — has allowed people from all walks of life to experiment with electronics and communications techniques, as well as provide a free public service to their communities during a disaster, all without needing a cell phone or the Internet. Field Day demonstrates ham radio’s ability to work reliably under any conditions from almost any location and create an independent communications network. Over 35,000 people from thousands of locations participated in Field Day in 2016.
Anyone may become a licensed Amateur Radio operator. There are over 725,000 licensed hams in the United States, as young as 5 and as old as 100. And with clubs such as the Albemarle Amateur Radio Club, it’s easy for anybody to get involved right here in Central Virginia.
Get-On-The-Air (GOTA) Station
We will operate a Get On The Air (GOTA) station as part of our Field Day event. The GOTA station is set up to permit and encourage very new hams or unlicensed but interested visitors to use a ham radio station and make contacts all over the country. Participants will operate a modern amateur radio under the guidance of an experienced coach. We will provide scripts to use for radio contacts, and we will award a certificate to those making contacts with other Field Day stations. This is an easy and enjoyable way to give amateur radio a try.
- Station Captain and GOTA Coach: John KK4JP
Poster: AARC Field Day 2018 Poster
Location: Earlysville Volunteer Fire Company at 283 Reas Ford Road in Earlysville.
- Setup: Friday, 22 June 2018, 2-5pm; Saturday, 23 June 2018, 8am
- Operations begin: Saturday, 23 June 2018, 2pm
- Potluck dinner: Saturday, 23 June 2018, 6pm
- Operations end: Sunday, 24 June 2018, 2pm
- Teardown and cleanup: Sunday, 24 June 2018, 2pm
Callsign: W4DO (WA4TFZ for the GOTA station) Class: 3A on emergency power
Field Day Leadership
- Field Day Committee Chair: Bob AK4BR
- AARC President: John KK4JP
- Field Day Safety Officer: Larry K4JZQ
- Safety Information ARRL Field Day Safety Officer Info/Checklist
- Insect Safety
Saturday Evening Picnic
- Captain: Larry K4JZQ
- Just a reminder that the Field Day Committee will be offering a Club Picnic on Saturday, June 23, at 6 p.m. at the Field Day Site at the Earlysville Volunteer Fire Company, 283 Reas Ford Road, Earlysville. All club members are invited and are asked to bring a dish to share of veggies, salad or dessert sufficient for 6-8 people. The club will provide Grilled and Fried Chicken along with all the picnic paper products. Drinks will be provided by the Club but NO alcohol is permitted on site. A note that you plan to attend would be very helpful to make sure we are adequately supplied. Thank you and I look forward to greeting you there.
Public Information Booth
- Captain: Ed N3US
- Banners and signs:
- Brochures, tours, info display
- Captain: Paul AK4OH, ak4oh (at) arrl (dot) net
- Station Captain: Dennis WR4I
- CW One-Pager
- Station Captain: Bob AK4BR
- SSB One-Pager
Talk-in: WA4TFZ repeater at Buck’s Elbow, 146.895- PL151.4