Today, on October 4, 2017, Jeff, K4OLW generously gave me a day of his time for a trip to the Heards Mountain site. The main purpose of the visit was to install the new 220 antenna on the second pole at the site, and to install the relocated 224.760 repeater and duplexers, etc., as well.… Read the rest
I can’t believe it’s been so long since I made a post here, but I did want to let everyone know what we’ve recently done. On Wednesday, September 27, Jeff, K4OLW and myself made a trip to the 146.895 site at Bucks Elbow, West of Crozet, primarily to make some audio improvements to the link, focused on audio entering at 146.925 and leaving at 146.895. … Read the rest
On October 5, I visited the Marshall Manor 146.925 site with Gordon, WW4GW. We needed to replace the controller that was responsible for the intermittent transmitter dropouts, as well as continue to investigate the persistent noises on the output.
The replacement controller is the new Arcom RC210 the club recently purchased which was installed without issue.… Read the rest
As everyone probably knows, the 146.925 continues to be our problem child. Within the past month, we’ve made at least 3 visits to the site, attempting to resolve, improve, or at least understand the problems that seem to be multiplying.
Problem #1.… Read the rest
Early in July, I was quite pleased with our repeater status after getting the 146.925 power back on, then getting our original Fusion repeater back on the air at 444.250. Then in the middle of July, the repeater at Heard Mountain (146.760) went into a solid transmit on mode.… Read the rest
Just when it appeared the 146.760 seemed to be settling in nicely, the Boys and Girls club public service event showed us that all was NOT well with our linked repeater system. While the new 146.895 Fusion repeater worked well with a strong input signal, lower signals that should really have worked fine did not hold the repeater well at all. … Read the rest
We’re in the midst of some “growing pains”, but hopefully we’re on the way to better days.
146.760 is now running with the Vertex VXR9000 that we moved from it’s former home at Bucks Elbow where it was our 146.895 repeater.… Read the rest
Since late April, most of our repeaters had been sounding and operating very well. However, early in June, I learned the 224.76 had been giving low repeated audio. I had planned some improvements to this machine for some time, so this seemed the perfect time to implement them.… Read the rest
April was quite productive for the technical committee. We began with installing the new tone board at Marshall Manor on our April 1 visit. This also involved updating the firmware in the controller to support some new macros that allow us to remotely enable and disable the outgoing CTCSS tone.… Read the rest
Other than some excitement late in February, this report contains good news. I had reported some interference issues on February 24 with the linked repeaters. The issue continued for a couple days, but then resolved and has not repeated. It took us a short time to restore some settings that we had changed while evaluating the issue, but since then, all repeaters have continued to operate well.… Read the rest